This week my mom and I have been trying to work out a system so that I cook dinner a certain amount of times a week on a regular basis. And knowing this week was going to be a bit hectic and busy, I offered to do the cooking aaallll week. I thought "Hey why not? I LOVE to cook, and I'm going to have to come up with dinners every day of the week when I get married, so this will be good practice!"
So last SaturdayI sat down with our two favorite cook books, the recipe box, a pen, and my notebook, And planned out dinners for the coming Monday through Saturday. And all of the meals have turned out wonderfully.
Monday I did Chinese food, egg drop soup, fried rice, and cashew chicken. Yumm-O! The reviews on that were good, after I re-assured Samantha and Bradley (our pickiest eaters) the egg drop soup did NOT contain raw eggs. Tuesday is very busy for my mom and I, I am gone all morning, so I have to catch up on school in the afternooons, and mom teaches piano all afternoon. So that night is pizza or sandwiches night, and of course everyone chose pizza.
So I ordered it, and cut up a bunch of fruit and made a dip for it. That counts. Right?? So then Wednesday I made a big pot of beef and barley soup, and some rolls. It's a reliable favorite.
Thursday was the BIG night. We had invited a family friend to join us for dinner, so I planned a large meal. Probably the biggest meal I've ever made going solo.
I made a pot roast that simmered in the oven all day long, giving off the most delicious aroma, sauteed broccoli with lemon and garlic, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, (actually mom did the gravy) and rolls. And for dessert I made an apple pie, and we had apple slices with a cream cheese dip. (daddy's favorite) It was alot to attempt for one person, but the kitchen was clean with help from Samantha and Ali, and dinner was on the table on time. I was very happy with the way every thing turned, even though I saw Bradley make a funny face when he tasted the broccoli! :)
And tonight I made sausage and potatoe omlets,
and a cottage cheese fruit salad. Every time I scramble eggs I think of my dad. He was the one who taught me so many years ago, how to cook and scramble eggs as my very first culinary accomplishment. He showed me how to make big circles with the whisk to get air into the eggs so they'd nice and fluffy. And to make sure the skillet was hot before you pour on the eggs, so they don't spread out and get to thin and papery. Everybody said the were very good, and I know it was thanks to that lesson from dad on scrambling eggs. :)
2 comments:
It was FAAAABULOUS!!! says the family friend :)
I really liked the broccoli too and didn't even notice Brad making a funny face!
Does your family like casseroles? I have a couple of really good recipes if you're interested.
Have a great weekend!
Love you,
Nancy
Wow, you did good for your first week of making dinners by yourself! Each dinner menu sounded scrumptious! :-) I've been failing lately with my dinners, by the time I finally started dinner it's about the time we should be sitting down. Tonight it was 7:30ish, ouch! Have you seen my cooking blog?
Blessings,
Sarah
Post a Comment