This morning Ali and I went off to Second Chance, our local second hand store, to scout for deals, because being dutch, I'm a penny pincher, and love nothing more than finding good deals and buys. So you can possibly imagine my delight upon my discovery of this.
One of those beautiful candle holders, brand-spankin'-new, with all the glass holders intact, and not a dent or scratch in sight. They sell new for around $30.00. The cost of this one second hand? $6.99. (happy dance)
:)
A red, white and blue quilt made by my great-grandmother, stacks of crocheted washcloths I made last fall/winter. 30 to be exact. Along with several dish towels (some of them from Laura, they're my favorite ones dearie!) and decorations, and homemade candles.
I love going through my hope chest, hoping, dreaming, and yes, being content where the Lord has me right now. :) But it brightens my day, and cheers me up. What's your favorite item in your hope chest?
The first thing to pack in a hope chest, is faith. ~Sarah Bernady
10 comments:
I *love* looking through my hopechest(s)! (I have several big plastic bins beside my wood chest:-P) My favorite things in them right now are my within-the-past-year aquired antique/country decorations, such as antique canning jars, pip berry garlands, candles, etc. Ooh, too fun!! :-P
P.S. I also love my baby hard books and Happy Day/Golden books!!
So much fun! I don't have anything in mine yet.... I've got to dig through my closet, pull out all those cardboard boxes full of treasures and re-organize them in my new hope chest!
That is a beautiful candle holder! What a find!! I was given a Willow Tree Nativity set for Christmas! I've always loved those, and now I have one!
I haven't been collecting any decorations since I have no idea what my favorite style is and whatever it may be now, I'm sure it'll change as I mature. =) Right now, I'm collecting books.
~Susi
Fun post Emily!
I too found a nice candle holder at a second hand store that went into my hope chest for a time! Now it's the center piece on my coffee table in my living room! :-)
It's so wonderful that you're preparing for your future in this way! It'll be a huge blessing for you someday,to be able to unload all of your treasures into your husbands home! Collect as much as you can now because you probably won't be able to go shopping for everything (especially the extras) you'd like as soon as you're married!
I like the rustic and farm look decor. and hope to do that for my future home someday!
I haven't gone through my hope-chest in some time, so I don't really know what my favorite things are, I should look through it a sift out the things that aren't too important.
Love your new candle holder, I'll have to keep an eye out at SC for some country looking decor.!
~Kris
I don't have a hope chest, hoping to find a nice white one sometime soon, but I do have boxes of things for my home. I got a bow chalk full of a set of teacups and saucers which I am hoping to find the matching pieces for a dinner set. Books! Love collecting books, old books, I recently found a old American Society Bible from 1892, for free!! I also love collecting pretty notebooks; I never write on them, I just keep them for decoration. I'm also getting into building my library of Christian books.
Oh, Emily what a fun post. My favorite thing inside the green plastic bin that I call my hope chest has to be the four-poster doll bed my grandpa made me. I asked him to make it for me with the hope that I'll have a daughter some day. (Now to think of something for a boy...) My Grandmother sewed the little blanket and pillow for it. My other favorite is doilies. Homemade doilies (made by other people:). I don't have more than three at the moment, but I'm hoping to add more soon. And I can't forget to mention my books and baby blankets.
Oops meant to put box, not bow!! :) He he
Post a Comment