The pool is up, summer must be here!
But this summer, the thing I look forward to the most in my week, isn't swimming, it's tennis!
I've wanted to learn tennis for some time, and while dad has played just about everything else with us (soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, volleyball, badminton, and even touch-football) when I asked if he could teach me tennis, he gave me "the look." You all have dads, and you know what I mean.
The look that says "go jump off a cliff." And he accompanied this with the words, "I HATE tennis. If you want to learn, get someone else to teach you."
Me to self: Hmm, maybe if I ask with the "big brown eyes tactic" in mind (which rarely fails) he'll know I'm really serious, and reconsider.
But upon application of said tactic, all he said was; "Sorry Princess, but I mean it. I HATE tennis. Get someone else to teach you."
Me to self: Phooey. Wow, he really, really doesn't like that game, if the no-fail tactic FAILED!
Well, I guess I'd better find someone else!
So I called around, and Homestead (our local fitness center) gave me the number of a gal named Holly. So I called, obviously, and she said that if I could find a friend to take lessons with me, it would cut the cost of lessons by $10!
Now to find a friend...
"So, Ali... ever thought of taking tennis lessons? By the way, did I mention how cute the shirt is on you?
Ali: Nope. Not interested.
Me: Don't you think it'd be fun? I mean, good exercise, fun and experience!
Ali: I don't care to spend the money, I get lots of exercise playing badminton with you as it is, and besides, if you learn to play, you can teach me for free, and then I'll get the experience.
Me to me: Darn this dutch heritage of ours! She got the "cheap gene."
Well, Sam already said she wasn't interested...who else could I call....
This led to the phoning of My good friend Janeal, who to my utter astonishment, immediately said "Yes! I've always wanted to take tennis lessons!"
Wow! So, needless to say, we're takin' tennis lessons! Every Friday for an hour +1/2, and hopefully we can practice Thursdays.
Our coach is awesome, and an excellent teacher. And Janeal? Well... umm... she beat me our mock game last week! She'll be great!
So, anyone know how to play tennis? I'm up for a game anytime! =)
9 comments:
Well, what can I say. It IS the dutch heritage, and I'd rather spend the $15 bucks on a horse riding lesson anyway :-P
Love ya~
Yeah Ali, that sounds like a good idea, but Em, I like to play tennis, I'm just not very good... :)
Very fun post Em. I like the inner thought. Too bad I can't drive maybe you would have called me. :)
Yes, umm... Miss Kay...
I did think of you, but it's a long drive into town for you, and since you don't have your license, your mom would have to drive you. =(
But hey, once me and J. get to be any good, we can teach you and Ali, and play doubles!
Loved reading this, but.... I'm with your Dad. I hate it.
Sounds like you will be having lots of fun this summer!
I love your new blog-look!
~Krissy
Hey, I like your idea! Ali and I both get to save money! What do you say Ali? Shall we make it a foursome?
I wondered if you would know it was me. :)
By the By, I like your new title. Do you mind telling me how you got your picture so big? and your words where they are and... Maybe I just need help with setting up my blog. :)
I couldn't even play ping pong...=P I agree, Ali! =)
~Susi
Post a Comment