Thursday, December 8, 2011

Deep breath...*gulp*






The 5 performances of the Nutcracker Ballet are coming up this weekend and the next!!! (You may or may not have heard that I auditioned for a part in the professional orchestra that is accompanying them this year, and got the part!) We had a three hour dress rehearsal last night, and it's going so well! I'm so, so excited to be part of this.

Of course it also means hours of practicing music that looks like this... Sheesh.

At one point the concert master turns to us all last night, (after the dancers asked to go faster for the 3rd time) and in all seriousness, says; " I don't think it's humanly possible to play that fast. So just make sure you come in on the first beat, and just kinda fill in or skip the rest."
Whoa. So...I guess it's not just me!!! Even our phenomenal concert master can't do it! wheew. That makes me feel better! =)

Of course, after that loooooong rehearsal last night, I had sore muscles in my shoulders and back I didn't know I had! But hey, I'm glad I'm not a Ballerina... yikes.
Don't get me wrong, they're all beautiful, and so very talented, but sometimes they bend and twist in ways that I just don't think we're meant to bend! Ouch.
Can't wait for this weekend!

10 comments:

bubbles said...

I bet you did great Emily!! I know what you mean about the ballerinas. They are absolutely crazy in how they can bend. I used to do ballet and the stretching/flexibility was not my strong point LOL!!

A Country Girl At Heart said...

You'll do wonderfully Em! I can't wait to hear/see it! :-)

A Country Girl At Heart said...

Your mother says:

Men in tights...eeewwwww....

Emily said...

LOL Mom!!!
I positively go into conniptions when I see those guys in tights. "Eeew" is right, but... funnier still when Ali asks me..."yuck, what kinda guy would want to do ballet?"
Umm... don't ask Hunny. =)

Emily said...

Mom... We need to make you your own account so we know when it's you commenting!

Lydia said...

Oh, I so wish I could come and see you!! Out of the mouth of my cello teacher when I said I had a friend playing violin in Nutcracker--"Wow...she must be really really good!!" I quite agree! =)
Have a fabulous time!!

Nancy said...

So anxious to hear how the first night went! I bet you did just great! Looking forward to tomorrow night to see/hear for myself. Men in tights....eeeewwww too

Emily said...

Lydia,

Matt R. said that?!?!? Awesome...
Lol! no, I'm not "really good", but I am very honored to get to play with that group of amazing musicians!

We'll be in Mt. Vernon next weekend, if you still want a chance to come see it! =) email me for details.

Abigail said...

I didn't know you had a blog, Emily! This post was really cool--how fun that you got such a neat part in the Nutcracker! Sounds like you're having a blast--yay! =)

Emily said...

Thank you Abigail! I'm glad you found me, I enjoy your blog too.
Thanks for reading!