(Yeah Caroline, I know. It's been longer than a week since I posted. So sorry Dear!)
So. As the title of this post might have suggested, I have been juicing. What is juicing?
Glad you asked.
Basically it's a (don't say diet. It's not a diet. Diet is a bad word.) fast, or cleanse for health reasons. You may have heard of/seen the documentary, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, which exposes the dangerous habits of eating our society has fallen into.
Fast food, processed foods, and the general degeneration of the things we are putting into our bodies. The documentary recommends a "juice fast" as a way to get yourself back on track, to rid your body of any thing (and everything) labeled as "toxic". (i.e. processed foods, chemicals that food industries are putting in our food etc.) These juice cleanses are different for everyone. Some people go strictly juice, some go mostly juice, some go 1/2
and 1/2. As for me, I fall under the mostly juice category. I'm an active little bugger, and if I strictly juice (I did for 4 days) I end up with massive headaches, and simply couldn't function
Juicing also goes for different lengths of time. Some are 3 days, 10 days or even 30 days.
(The man the documentary was about was really, "fat, sick and nearly dead" and did his fast for 60 DAYS!)
I'm going for 30 days of mostly juicing. By "mostly" I mean all but one meal a day. Usually dinner, and that meal is wheat free. (i.e. no pasta, no bread, no grains etc.)
Is it hard? Uh, YES! Especially since I do the cooking 3 days a week! Grrr. So hard to make some of my favorite meals and not eat them. But, for your enjoyment and my records, I'vephoto documented, a step by step juicing so you can see what's what.
So first... Arm yourself with fresh veggies and fruit. I have 3 large stalks of kale, 2 big handfuls of spinach, 2 apples, (one tart, one sweet. ) a cucumber and a handful of strawberries.
Start choppin'.
Apples...

Kale...

Cukes...

All ready!


This is my juicer. His name is Slim. (Yeah, I know I said it's not a diet, whatever.)
Start crammin' veggies.
The juice comes out the bottom, and the..."leftovers" come out the end.
After it's done, pour into a container of your choice. I like a tall quart jar.
Ahhh....Look at that layer of foam on top!
Everything is better with foam on top. Lattes, mattresses, bubble baths....anyways.
I always put mine in the fridge for an hour or so. I think it's kinda gross at room-temperature.
Wash your juicer thoroughly, and right after you're done! Believe me, it's worth it.
(Haha, hi Samantha!)
So whaddaya think? Have you ever tried juicing? For long time, a short time? Or maybe just once?
Should we have a juicing party? (I vote yes!) =)
Cheers!
12 comments:
I love it! We call it a green smoothie, but I think it's so good!
(I'd come to your juicing party!) =P
I am sorry Em, but that green stuff looks so bad I would not even try it. I am a V8 person.
I did enjoy your blog. The things you come up with are smart ideas. Find a juice that is made of chocolate.:)
love u always. nana
Haha Nana! Awesome idea about a chocolate juice! Yummers.
But the green juice really doesn't taste bad, just...green. =)
I vote no on the juicing party, but if you have one, don't bother inviting me, that stuff is gross, I won't touch the stuff :P But have fun anyway.
Your supportive sis,
Charlie Brown
When I broke my arm, part of the "recovery" process was drinking juiced stuff. I hated carrot juice (which is what I had to drink mostly). As long as it doesn't taste like carrots! :-P
mmmm...looks delish!! =) Actually it sounds kind of cool! I would come to a juicing party!! 30 days--that's commitment right there! I think my carbs would miss me--we're rather close (jk =)
You make the most boring topics entertaining...haha. Way to go! I've been toying with trying this at some point, are you noticing a difference in how you feel?
"Everything is better with foam on top. Lattes, mattresses, bubble baths....anyways." Hahaha.
I'd drink it if it were a frozen smoothie, though the green kinda throws me off. I think I'd rather just eat the veggies.
I agree, Kris. There's nothing worse than carrot juice ('cept maybe peas).
LOL, Thank you Abigail! =)
Yes, I haven't noticed a big difference in how I feel like some people have. I tend to be high energy anyway. BUT I have noticed that I don't always feel completely "zapped" at the end of the day. Tired, but not exhausted So I like that. I do feel healthy though, especially when I'm really good, and exercise regularly with my juicing! Ah, I feel like I'm being so good then. =)
@Susanna and Kris, haha! I don't really mind carrot juice! First time I had it was in Mexico, and I liked drinking it just so I could tell my friends what it was and gross them out! I think Susi, part of that childishness remains, and that is why I don't mind the green either. =)
The only reason I haven't commented on this is because... I'm jealous ;-P You'll be so thin, and me? :-P Good job on your self control!!! :-D
Emily, just found your blog! :) Hip hip hurray(!) on you trying out juicing and grain-free eating! When I got off grains and processed foods and ate only animal proteins and plants I completely healed from stuff that not even prescription drugs could handle. Plus I also stopped getting weekly migraines, feeling a dull nausea, and dealing with a foggy brain. Losing a few pounds was definitely a perk too ;)
It works, just keep it up ;) I feel so good and have so much energy I can hardly contain it sometimes!
Hmmm. Sounds OK. I have been having a kefir smoothie every day. Just kefir and fruit and if my batch turned out too tart, honey. The best combo I have hit upon so far is banana-nutmeg but coconut-strawberry wan't too bad either. :)
Any tips on a cleanse that doesn't steal pounds? I happen to agree with Lydia--my carbs would miss me too. :(
@ Carrot juice haters: try adding an apple it will taste much better.
Post a Comment