Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Baking


Today we didn't go to church because of the bad weather, and everyone was tired from being up late last night. So since I had a free day on my hands, I thought I'd get a "head start" on our Christmas baking. Yep, you heard me correctly, a head start. It's something like a week before Christmas, and we've yet to officially start baking! Oh well, better late than never I guess.


So I decided to make the thumb prints, the cherry flips, and a new treat that I got from my aunts blog. So, for the thumb prints, I needed to start unwrapping the chocolate kisses. And I though I'd take a picture of one of the kisses for you to see, and the funniest thing happened! I happened to be taking the picture with the chocolate positioned right over my hot cup of coffee, and right after I snapped the picture...



PLOP, that sweet piece of chocolate plunked right into that cup of coffee! I have know idea why that silly piece of chocolate decided to slip out of my fingers right at that very moment! Strange. So any way back to baking.


I measured and counted, and scooped and sculpted all afternooon, and the results of all this arduous labour are very tasty indeed. :) The peanut butter thumbprints were pronounced finger lick'in good by daddy, and the cherry flips don't look as pretty, but they remain our absolute Christmas favorite.




Oh, the cute idea I got from my aunt? Are these adorable maraschino cherrie mice!





I thought they were so cute, I just had to try making them. They consist of the cherries (stems left on) dipped in melted chocolate, a kiss for the head, and slivered almonds for their sweet little ears. I have always loved mice, and I had one for a pet that was given to me as a gift by a friend that was moving away and couldn't take him. (her?)

"He" came with the name Guy, and it stuck with him for the rest of his life. Which was a grand total of two years after I got him. So the mice are made in memory of "Guy."

Anyhow, good luck with your Christmas baking, and if any of you have a favorite Christmas baking recipe, I'd love to get it! Oh yes, I'm wearing my officially dubbed baking slippers! :)








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, white Christmas!!!:-D
Merry Christmas, Emily!
Blessings,
Laura