Sunday, March 6, 2011

Homemade Beeswax Candles

Last Wednesday morning, in absence of violin lessons due to mid-winter break, I had some free time. I've made candles a few times before, and I find them to be one of the most beautiful crafts. I've made tapers and globes before, so this time I decided to try jar candles. They were easy and less time consuming and they make beautiful gifts and hopechest additions. Another plus is that they are unscented. (great for the people in our family with allergies) Oh, and if you buy pure beeswax you don't have to worry about soy, chemicals and other undesirable additives.



It's a fun project for a rainy/snowy/cold/windy day. I suppose we could just call them Washington days. :)
What are some things you gals have made for your hopechest?

3 comments:

Carilyn said...

I've made rag rugs, hot pads, and some heart decorations with wire hangers and fabric...

Beeswax candles are a great idea! I'll have to try those...

Carrie

Hannah Criss said...

Those are really cute!

I collect mostly books for my hope chest. I hesitate to buy decorations that I like since my style may change when I'm older.

~Susi

Krissy said...

I also collect books. But I like to keep afghans/quilts/blankets that my mom and grandma have made me. And I have crocheted wash rags, of course (I think most every one has done those)! =)

I *really* want to make candles. We have the beeswax and the stuff. Just not the time! I also want to make homemade soap.

Have a wonderful week!

~Kris